Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Home Remedy!

When I was a child and I had a very bad headache, my mother would slice a potato and place the slices on my forehead then wrap a scarf and tie the potatoes to my head.  This remedy ALWAYS worked and I have continued to use it whenever I have a headache that OTC pain meds can't touch.

So, imagine my delight and surprise to discover that today this remedy is one of a few home remedies that are being featured on AOL "Health Tips".   LOL.. I somehow feel vindicated.

Potato Halves for Headaches

A health tip from South of the Border? Rubbing potato halves on foreheads to relieve headaches. Is there any truth to this treatment? "A potato has lipoic acid, an antioxidant that may help," says Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D., board-certified internist and medical director of the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers. "Most likely rubbing anything wet, cool and firm over the muscles where the headache is coming from, while believing it will help, can work."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always looking up home remedies....rarely using them though. lol
Glad that you and yo momma were vendicated

Hugs
erica

Anonymous said...

Huh, neat. The only really odd remedy we had growing up was a cure for a bad windburn/rash on your hands in winter. My grandma would coat our hands in vaseline and then put socks on our hands overnight. In the morning they'd be as good as new.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've never heard that one! I bet you laughed when you saw that and said, "See? I told you!" LOL

Beth

Anonymous said...

Estela, I have a friend who swore by Vicks on her forehead to cure migraines.  To this day, she still does it, and we're 53!!

And Dan, I use the old vaseline jelly and socks on my feet at night to cure the heels.  It REALLY works!

Estela in South TX

Anonymous said...

Wow....I'm always looking for home remedies but I've never heard that one!  I'll have to try that sometime.  I'll also try the Vicks like your last commenter because I get migraines once in awhile.  Thanks for the tip.
Hugs,
Dana

Anonymous said...

Holy toledo! that is amazing! and you know, the past few weeks while I was having those dang headaches, I never knew this! LOL Luckily, with the help of Tylenol and going back on my medication, they've since gone away..
Hey any remedies for backaches? LOL
Hope all is well Estela!
:) Sandi