Monday, October 22, 2007

Subtle Nuance of "what was she thinking?"

Friday while I was out having lunch with Paul, Autumn called to see if Kendra could babysit for her.  Now, Kendra has never met Autumn, but Autumn is one of the wives in our spouses group.

When Autumn called, she initially asked for me. Kendra tells her I am out to lunch with Paul and A says.. I think I was calling for you anyway... you are the one that babysits, aren't you?

Kendra says "yes, I'm Kendra, I babysit."

A: Would you be available for this evening? My sitter double booked herself and had to cancel me.

K: Sure, I'm free

A: details, details, details

K: Well.. how about I just meet you at the NEX about 4 pm?

A: Great! that is so much easier. See you then.

I get home from lunch, and take a head count (Kim is out of school for the day). Where's Kendra?

Kim says Kendra is taking a shower for her babysitting job that >I< lined up for her

Me: What babysitting job? (puzzled of course, because I don't know anything about a babysitting job)

Kim: You know.. (sighs in exasperation) one of your friends

Me: What friend?( I seriously don't have anyone here I call a friend)

Kim: (eye roll) I don't know... ask Kendra, SHE said it was one of your friends.

I wait for Kendra, when she finally comes out of the steam room.. I mean shower, I ask "what babysitting job?"

Kendra: Miss Autumn called, she said she needed a sitter tonight.

Me: She's picking you up here?  Or do I have to drive you?

Kendra: No, I'm meeting her up at the NEX.  It was easier than explaining where we live.

Me: Have you met Autumn?

Kendra: No

Me: (really puzzled) Then how are you going to know her from all the other women that might be at the NEX?

Kendra: She's gonna pick me up out in front.

Me: So some strange car is going to pull up in front of you, and you are just going to jump in, without knowing if this person is Autumn?

Kendra: <dumbstruck look>  Yeah, I guess.

Me: (laughing hysterically.).. I think not, little puppy. I will drive you there and make sure it's Miss Autumn... You know.. just because they drop my name, doesn't necessarily mean it's someone that really knows me. Or that I know.. for that matter.

Me: lecture, safety, lecture, what were you thinking, lecture, learn how to give directions to the house please, lecture.

Kendra: (eye roll) yes, Mom.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a never ending battle getting the safety rules down with our kids huh?
LOL

Hugs
erica

Anonymous said...

Okay I would have had a Kendra moment there myself. LOL but this is why God blesses us with the presence of older minds because I would have never thought about that. But how did the babysitting gig go for her, hope all went well and she was happy for the opportunity!

Much love,

tia

Anonymous said...

YEP I know what you mean , and the state says they are adults lol I think not ....
hang in there honey
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad there are still some common sense folk out there watching out for people who are too trusting!

Russ

Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad I don't have a girl..... I'd be such a worry wort mom.... I really would!!!  I am, now, but my son doesn't need my protection anymore, now he thinks I need his!!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

Ok thats very trusting. did everything turn out ok, did she babysit? it's amazing, what would these kids do without us? lol
:) Sandi