Thursday, March 9, 2006

He's not in Afghanistan anymore

Afghanistan

Paul is officially out of Afghanistan.  I'm not exactly sure when he'll arrive here, but it should be sometime in the next three days, I would think.  We are setting up the banners for him this afternoon when the kids get home from school.  We have one banner for our balcony, and the other one we'll place out on the fenceline along the route the busses will take into post.

This one goes on our Balcony (making it obvious whom we're talking about).  The one that goes on the fenceline is homemade, with Paul's army name on it, along with the kid's handprints and such.

It's been an incredibly long year without him.  There were days I thought it would take forever, and now it's just a few days away until we are united. So exciting and so frustrating (I've never been particularly patient).  I think I've learned a lot over this last year, not the least of which is that this is a "forever love."   I've seen my kids mature so much over this past 12 months, and seen all of them become taller than me.  You wouldn't think that a year in their lives at this age would produce so much change... but it has.  I wonder how much of those changes Paul will notice... how much of those changes will go dormant once he's home and we all slowly settle back into our "comfort" zone.

So, anyway...  I'm on standby here at home.. I don't want to leave the phone unattended since they (rear detachment) will call as soon as they know that Paul is 12-24 hours from home.  See you all later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome!  You finally get to see your man!  I'm so happy for yall.  Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/BamaSweetiePiesWeightLossJournal

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Estela...I remember putting up the yellow ribbons when my dad left for the Gulf War and replacing them until he came home. I remember the banners that we did to take with us to the dock, the ones on the house and the ones inside the house as if it was yesterday.  Readjustment for us took some time because this was the longest that my father was away but it happened. We used to get away with alot of things when my Dad first got back because he missed us so he didnt want to be mad at us..but that shortly ended.  I know what it feels like knowing that Daddy will be home soon....congrats girl I know the joy you feel is immeasurable right now.

Tia

Anonymous said...

I am so far behind on journals but just wanted to let you know that I was here!  Go enjoy that man girl!

Donna

Anonymous said...

I've been catching up on journals from being on my trip and was so happy for you when I read your entry just now!! I was in Disney when you posted about Paul so I couldn't congratulate you....sorry! By now he is home with you and the kids and I hope you are enjoying every moment of being with each other and being together again.

May God Bless Your Family......

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~