Wednesday, July 5, 2006

The Price of a spur-of-the-moment airline ticket

Okay, so to explain in more detail what happened on Tuesday.  It seems so nuts now.  I was in one of those moods that no good can come of interaction with me.

Tuesday morning was our last day in Berlin.  We had decided to spend the morning looking at two museums (egyptian, magic).  Well... as I'm taking my shower that morning, Kendra decides that she only has the energy for one museum.  (she's the one that wanted to see these two museums).  I say fine... but you know.. we don't have to go to either if you just want to go home.  But she says.. no.. I would like to see one or the other.. We settle on the Magic Museum.  It is supposed to have all kinds of stuff about mysticism as well as religious history.  And a gift shop. 

I've probably not mentioned this before... but I collect Tarot Cards. I was really looking forward to seeing this gift shop because the write up on the museum included mentioning Tarot cards and I was hoping that I might find a deck that I don't already own with the added bonus of having procured a deck from a source other than the U.S.

So.. Monday night I had done all the road research for the two museums, figured out which ParkHaus we should use and all that.  Once we narrowed it down to just the one museum, I suggested that we try to find parking on the street near it.

Off we go in the car to the other side of Berlin (the museum was located in what was previously "east berlin".  I get us in the general area of the museum and we begin looking for parking... or rather I begin looking for parking.. about this time (10-15 minutes into our day), the chorus from the back of the car begins "lets' just go home".. it started off with Mac, but then Kim and eventually Kendra started in too.  We turn corners, me trying to keep us on the map ANDlook for a parking place, while Paul is doing the actual driving.

Did I mention Berlin is a FIFA town?  There was a soccer game going on Friday and there was one scheduled for Tuesday night (which I didn't realize).  There was very little parking available, there was a fest going on in the area.  However, even with that I found not one, not two, but three separate parking spaces.  And everytime I'd say.. "there's parking" .. Paul would drive right on by. 

He eventually parked in a spot after I yelled at him "take that one!".. but a polizei was standing about 100 feet in front of the space talking with someone and he began to stare at us .... for some reason (we were in a marked parking space), this made Kim and Paul nervous.  So while I'm trying to get us all located on the map so we could walk towards the museum, they are freaking out that this polizei is staring at our car.  "Did I do something wrong? Are you sure this is a parking place?" is what Paul kept asking over and over again. And then he says "Maybe we should cut our losses and just go home."

Fine.. I gave up in frustration... navigated him to the highway. And then I went to sleep.  The next thing I know he's pulling off at a McDonalds to feed the kids... never bothered to ask me if I wanted to eat there (I hate German McDonalds). So I stayed in the car while they went in to eat (but of course ... first there was an argument). 

I was so hurt that nobody seemed to care that this particular museum was important to me for a number of reasons.  I couldn't believe that they picked a McDonalds to eat at.  ARGH. 

When we got home a few hours later, I had never been given the chance to get anything to eat.  So I left the kids to help Paul empty the car and I went inside to find something to eat.  Later, I told Paul that since nobody could be bothered to be concerned about me that I was done doing everything for everybody.. I was not cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, etc.   And then Paul said "fine.. if you are not going to doyour share in this house... you don't need to be eating the food that MY paycheck buys."

Needless to say... after that statement I was on the internet looking for airline tickets home.  Sadly, they cost about 4,000 for a one way to Phoenix. I couldn't ask my mother, brother or sister to help me with a ticket that costly... and at the moment I have no money of my own.

Paul appologized profusely later on... but you know..  certain things said, can't be unsaid. And that goes for me too.  I truly behaved like a spoiled child that didn't get her way.  The only thing missing was the full out body contact tantrum.

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Estela, I am so sorry you went through that.  I have done the same thing. Sounds to me like you both are under a lot of stress with the move and everything.  Things will really settle for you when you get to your new home.  It must be difficult moving all the time......  Stay strong..MaryAlice

Anonymous said...

Estela, I'm so sorry that you were having *one of those days*.  I think the stress with the move and everything else going on, probably has everyone on edge to say the least.  From one wife and mother to another.... husbands and children DO NOT understand or even fathom what we give up to be there and to be a good mother.  It's hard to always put everyone else first and always end up with the short end of the stick.  I have a meltdown myself every few months.  Hang in there and things will settle down and get back to normal after the move.  Take some time for yourself, even if it's 10 minutes in the bathroom for a mental break.

Anonymous said...

{{{Estella}}} The stress of moving can be so hard on everyone.....but still, it hurts. Plus, even though they try, men do not fully understand the emotional toll raisng children, being a good wife and everything to everybody takes on us. I'm glad things are a little better but I understand that it's not so easy to forget harsh words spoken. Tomorrow will be a better day :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~
http://journals.aol.com/linnpooh/LindasThotfulSpot/

Anonymous said...

AWWW Honey I'm sorry that you guys are having such a hard time right now getting out of there and home will probably make all of you feel better ! I hope that all will start to settle down and  you will get back to  taking care of you ! I do think that he could have come up with something better thatn that to say ! i understand that you guys are moving and it makes everything a little edgy but I am glad that he did apologize ! For some men that is not an option! Atleast he was willing to admit that he was wrong !  (((((((ESTELA)))))))
Donna