Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I was the "mean" mom this morning

We have a routine to our mornings.  Alarms go off at 6 AM.  Paul and I get up, wake the girls, make lunches and then do our individual things for starting our day. About 6:25, I tell the girls it's time to get up again.  Usually Kim arises at this point and begins her routine for the morning.  At 6:50, I'm once again trying to get Kendra moving.

To catch the bus on time, the girls need to leave the apartment no later than 7:33.  Since the school bus works on a rather fluid time system... its better to be there a bit on the early side to be sure you don't miss it.

Today the girls missed the bus.  Kim was ready to leave by 7, but as usual, Kendra was just getting up and eating at that time. Kim will not leave for the bus stop without Kendra, so if Kendra runs late enough to miss the bus, they both miss the bus. 

I will admit that for the most part, they are usually on time.  They've missed the bus about three times this year so far. 

This morning was not a good morning for them to miss the bus.  They came home, just assuming that I would jump up and drive them to school.  I didn't.  I told them they could walk.  "But we'll be late!" whined Kim.  "It's not my fault!" was another thing she whined at me this morning.  REPEATEDLY.   I had to point out to her that it was indeed her fault that she missed the bus.  She does not need to wait for Kendra if  Kendra is running late.  Her excuse?  "But if Kendra misses the bus and you let her stay home, that's not fair to me!"  LMAO.. umm... like that's going to happen.

So..  they didn't want to walk to school and it was not a convenient time for me to take them.  I made them wait until it was.  They arrived at school about 20 minutes into the first class of the day. Oh well.  It will be an unexcused absence (missing the bus is not on the list of "excusable" absences at their school). Oh well.

I am hoping that today will be the last time this school year that I have to drive them to school for missing the bus.  I am hoping that I made my point clear to both of them. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok Miss Estela, you were not as mean as I would have been, I would have made them walk...LOL...  it would probably only take once, then they wouldn't miss again.....  I actually did that to my son, and it worked, he never missed the bus again....  He knew that if he did, I would make him walk, late or not....  so actually you were pretty nice to them if you ask me....LOL
Miss you
MaryAlice

Anonymous said...

we live 17 miles from the school and let me tell ya I would make them walk if I could hell they would never get there .. I so relate to this and my worse one still has 5 years to go...
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

I don't think you were mean, because I'm a mean mom to, lol.  I would make my sons walk if the road we live on wasn't so busy, we are close enough, but....... I wouldn't .  When they do miss the bus, and I don't have to work that morning, I make them wait until I am ready to take them too, lol. If I have to work, they know they will be on time, however, their eardrums are sore from all the yelling I do on the way there :)
Madison

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I've been the mean Mom more times than I want to remember but Mandy still LOVES to remind me of every one of them :) :)
I'm just dropping by journals to say hi and catch up........I will be probably be MIA in leaving comments until I get back from Disney, but wanted you to know you'll be in my thoughts and I WILL return! If something comes up that you want me to know or if you need prayers for anything.....please e-mail me, okay?

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~