Sunday, April 8, 2007

The Easter Bunny may be passing our house next year

Easter came this morning, bright and early, as it always does.  I wake up ahead of everyone, as I always do.  I start wandering out to the kitchen when I suddenly remember that it IS Easter and I need to place the baskets in the kids' rooms. ( I put them all together last night, so they were ready to go.)

This year, Paul was with me while I was choosing the stuffed animals (yes, even my son usually gets a stuffed animal).  I found the little critters from Blue's Clues.  I picked up Periwinkle for Kim (fav color purple), Magenta for Kendra (fav color pink), and I was searching for Blue for Mac when Paul informs me that Mac is too old for a stuffed animal (he's 14).

In my state of denial that my kids are not too old for Easter, I told Paul.. "nuh-uh".  But his logic and sound argument convinced me to pick up a card game called "Bullspit" for Mac instead of the stuffed animal (which is probably just as well since I couldn't find Blue anyway).

We have always tried to de-emphasize the candy and put entertainment in their buckets rather than candy.  So each kid got a DVD, a chocolate bunny, some bits of favorite candies, and either a stuffed animal or a card game.

Mac is the first to get up, he comes out says thank you for the basket (apparently we're not fooling them anymore).  He says the movie I chose for him is perfect (Eragon).  And then he wanders off to the playroom.

Paul wakes up and starts putting together breakfast (french toast). So I decide to wake up the girls.  First I go into Kim's room, wake her with a cheery "Happy Easter"... and sit on her bed.  I ask her if she wants her basket now, and I reach to pull it up onto the bed with her.  She sits up, all smiles (a rare morning thing with my non-morning child) and starts rummaging through the basket.   Her first words "I thought you were going to get 'Happy Feet' for Mac?"

Kendra gets into her basket and she decides she's being mocked because Magenta is wearing glasses.

Mac finds out his sisters got stuffed animals and he's sad that he didn't get one.

I'm officially ready to retire as Easter Bunny.  Someone else can wear the tail now.

 

P.S.  While these events are true and happened in the order mentioned, all ended well.  I will learn not to listen to my hubby when it comes to stuffed animals and my son.. but we did enjoy playing his card game with him. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hubby thought our kids were too old for Easter , but guess who was the first one to rush to his easter basket lol yep it was him I do small gifts as well and miniumn candy , next year it will be less candy than this year I still ate to much.
Have a Happy Easter.
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

LOL.  When Paul said Mac is to old for stuffed animals, I thought yep he is.  Then it turns out he's bummed cuz he didn't get one.  Too funny!
Hugs,
Dana