Sunday, November 4, 2007

Researching Cancer & How much to share

My dear friend Lisa is dealing with her sister's recent diagnosis of cancer.

Her sister has been diagnosed with Cervical Cancer.  When Lisa needs to discuss and debate what the doctor has said, she calls me and we talk while I research stuff on the Internet.  Some of what she has told me is confusing to me.

Her sister has a 8 cm. tumor, which the doctor feels is too large to remove yet. He wants her to go through radiation first to shrink the tumor before removing everything.  But then this week she found out that the PET scan showed the possibility of cancer in her lymph nodes in her groin and in her underarm areas. The doctor wants to do more biopsies to confirm this.

He's told her that the ones in her underarm are less concerning because cervical cancer does not metastasize.

Well.. while talking to Lisa this afternoon, I looked up PET scans and we understand better why biopsies are needed to confirm. False positives are very possible with PET scans.

This evening however, I was doing further research into cervical cancer. If I am understanding what I am reading... it can in fact metastasize to the lungs and chest cavity.  I'm also reading that if it's in the lymph nodes, her sister's five year survival rate is right around 5 %. The doctor has told her sister that she has a 20% 5 year survival rate if its in the nodes.

I have decided to NOT share this information with Lisa.  I think that the doctor seems to be working quickly to take care of things for her sister. He seems to have things under control. I may be reading old stuff here.... or he may be aware of new information that I don't have access to from the Internet.

Biopsy is scheduled for later this week. I am hoping that we have a case of false positive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any time I am having health issues, I research and research to the point that my doctor wanted to have permission to cancel my internet access lol
It is all so confusing and with the many different types of stages and treatments it can really just add extra stress on the problem.......That knowledge is power must not apply here.
I hope that Lisa's sister is able to get proper treatment and be a long time survivor of that bitch we call Cancer.

Prayers and hugs
Erica

Anonymous said...

IMHO, I think you are wise and very considerate NOT to share the info you found with Lisa, she needs to be strong for her sister, and it's better for her not to have any discouraging news.

Joann

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't share the info either.  It will not help and could possible hurt her at this time.  

many hugs,
Russ

Anonymous said...

Ohhh honey I am so sorry for all three of you , I know how scary it is to go thru this and I know that the one person you should have a good relationship with is the doctor.. I will keep all of you in my prayers .
hugs
Sherry