Tuesday, July 10, 2007

You want to WHAT???

Kendra came to me last night around 8 pm and asked to cancel her surgery.  She had a dream Sunday night in which she was put under anesthesia and when she woke up she wasnt in the recovery room.  Instead she found herself with her Grandpa C.  She asked him where she was and he told her she was in heaven with him, that she died on the table.  He told her that God didn't want her to have this surgery at this time.

Paul and I spent the rest of the evening trying to understand why that dream made such a big impact on her.  We talked with her, cajoled, debated, cried...  but we couldn't get her past the idea that she's not supposed to have this surgery right now.

I held out as long as I could, but when 3 AM came and she was still not going to go.. I had her call the surgery room and give them the information. 

The phone has been ringing off the hook since 6 am.  Each person along the way has been calling to find out what happened. We've yet to hear from Dr. Cartwright, but I'm sure she'll be next.

I am just sick that this isn't going to happen for Kendra.  It was all elective surgery, save one aspect of it.  But none of it really HAD to be done now. I just don't know when it can be done again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Kendra, what a thing to happen.  You know though sometimes its a leap of faith, and that is all you can do.  Whether something would of happened or not, will probably always made you wonder.  Bottomline, you want Kendra to be as comfortable as possible before going into surgery, so I think the right decision was made.  Hope you get some rest!

Anonymous said...

As a believer in God speaking to us through dreams, I think you probably made the wisest choice.   The dream was so clear for her...it's just not a bad idea to pay attention to dreams.
~Meg
PS:  Yeah, I know I'm weird. lol

Anonymous said...

I think ya'll did the right thing.......Kendra did not need to go into surgery with the fear from that scarry dream lurking in her mind.
Why does parenting have to be so hard? Just when we think we know what we are doing, our kids throw us a curve ball.

Hugs
Erica

Anonymous said...

Estela I believe strongly in paying attention to things like that and I know even if it is all silly and not real, you did the right thing by Kendra because she would have been a wreck if you forced her to go through with it.  I know it puts you in a bad place of having to explain it to everyone involved and reschedule, but if SHE believes it was real and a sign, who are we to argue?  You did the right thing.
Stacy

Anonymous said...

I think you guys made the right decision in canceling the surgery for Kendra.  I believe that sometimes God speaks to us in our dreams. You probably couldn't convince her because she was so upset from the dream.  I know I would have been.    You may not understand why this was not to be, but something will probably happen, in time, that will make you understand.
Madison

Anonymous said...

All thinks happen for a reason honey and I am sure that you did the right think, we call them visions and when an ancestor makes the journey to you , should never go against them...
I know you are worried but god will take care of you and yours
hugs
Sherry
keeping you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Nobody can know if the dream was a premonition or not, but if I'd had a dream like that before surgery I would have cancelled too.

Russ