Tuesday, February 19, 2008

weather, tornados, and Mom calls

Alabama has certainly seen it's fair share of tornados since we've moved here.  Frankly, Other than noting them, I haven't really thought much about it... beyond setting up our "just in case" plan.

Last weekend my brother and mother called to make sure we were okay. Not having called home, my mother was convinced I was in the Land of Oz, where of course there are no phones.
glitter-graphics.com

Sorry, Mom... we were fine so it never dawned on me that I should call home.


glitter-graphics.com

So another tornado ripped through the area on Sunday. I think Abbeville really took it on the chin, but thankfully no deaths. Lots of damage though, and some injuries.

Well.. I learned my lesson, I called my mom to let her know we were good and safe. And assured her again that we live in a brick house. And told her our "just in case" plans.

It's kind of funny to realize that she still worries when she doesn't know what's going on.  I'm usually not this non-communicative, but we've been working on getting the house set up.  (which unfortunately we did not finish this weekend, but we are sooo close to being done.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

moms always worry, don't we? so glad you have been safe from all the tornados in your area

betty

Anonymous said...

Yep, a Mom's job is never over......we worry, it's our job, right?
I'm glad you are safe :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Tornados have always been a part of my life while growing up in Alabama. I guess I just have gotten so use to them that when I am away and hear of one I just check the local areas and some times if one is close enough to my family I will do a phone call home. Its the earthquakes and hurricanes that freak me out. And yes Alabama had a pretty good size earthquake not so long ago, which left everyone shaking their heads as in what just happen. Hugggs, Robin

Anonymous said...

being a child never goes away...I am 47 and still am "the baby"  of the family! but at least you know you are loved!  

enjoy them while you can cause one day they won't be there to fret over you.



Patty

Anonymous said...

My mother has turned 72, and I am 45.  The first time I went to go see my husband's family in IL years back - I did not call home to let them know I was okay.  Did not think about doing it because well, I am an adult, right?  LOL  Well Mom calls the local sherrifs office and since he lived in a place the size of Mayberry they happened to know him and assured her if I was with him, I was going to be okay.  We still laugh about it to this day, but that's a mom for you.  Their worry never ends!

Anonymous said...

Glad that ya'll were not affected by the tornados.
I'm not sure how you plan for one of these......but kudos for assuring your mom that you have it under control. lol
Setting up house takes time, then when it is all done, it is time to rearrange things hehehee

Hugs
erica

Anonymous said...

HOW did I miss that you live in Alabama??    I'm in the Shoals area (NW corner)... learn something new everyday!
I'm so scared of weather.    I can't believe it's only Feb, and we are already having such a ruckus!    I hope this means we are having an early spring as opposed to a rough spring season ahead.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

I just posted pics of the damage from Sunday.
Hugs,
D
http://journals.aol.com/heavenlybama/my-photo-lounge

Anonymous said...

Oh please. I know Italian guys whose Mommas run over with a pot of homemade soup & a big jar of Vicks if they sound sniffly on the phone.  You gotta call your Momma :-). ~Mary

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments in my journal. Hope you won't see any tornadoes in a long time. It's blowing a gale here tonight, but I'd prefer that to a twister any time.

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip/

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are ok , and don't make your mom worry lol
hugs
Sherry