Tuesday, May 27, 2008

preconceived notions

I am struggling with some preconceived notions that I have about health care. We have been so incredibly lucky up to this point when it has come to Kendra's health care needs. We've had good, solid surgeons and pediatricians to help us along the way.

But Tricare (our insurance carrier) has changed the way business is done in medical health care.  Some of it, I am sure is just fine for the average patient.  But I think it's not so great for those of us with special needs members. 

In the past, no matter where we' ve been stationed, the Army has sent Kendra to WRAMC for her urology care when it's required revamping, surgery, etc.  The routine stuff can most definitely be handled by the local docs, but we've been so lucky to have "continuity of care" with her surgeries.  Each surgeon has had a "second" to pass the torch on to with respect to Kendra.

Now with tricare and the revamping, they are making us use a local surgeon for the next series of surgeries that Kendra needs (the ones that she postponed from last summer). Our surgeon, Dr. Cartwright, at WRAMC is totally ready to have us come to her next summer to take care of these surgeries... but the new "cost saving" attitudes of tricare insist that we try to find a local surgeon to do her next surgeries.

I've been trying to be fair and not freak out about all this. Today I started doing research on the urology surgeon they have referred us to.  He was trained in Columbia. He went to medical school in Columbia. Here is where my preconceptions are causing me to stumble. Are the medical schools there any good?  He did further "education" at the University of New Mexico Hospital.  Plus a few other places I've never heard of and not sure if they are even in the states.  Biased?  Yeup... when it comes to Kendra (or any of the kids) ... I am. 

Even Paul is asking what options we have (not many) if we are not happy with this doctor.  I'm going to call the 800 number tomorrow and discuss this with the rep.  On the plus side, I couldn't find  (nor could the site I used) any negative reports and/or law suits against this doctor.

Am I being too paranoid?   Comments, thoughts, viewpoints?

Thanks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When it comes to your kids, every parent wants the best.  As far as the doc, well, not sure.  Some docs trained in other countries are very good, some not so much.  I think it depends on the person themselves.
Madison

Anonymous said...

Tricare has revamped(& I've spent lots of time pressuring insurance companies while running medical practices), but my experience is that they value continuation of care & are usually pretty fair. If K is a special needs member she should have a nurse case manager assigned to her health concerns. If she does not, ask for one. The "big" insurance companies know that for special needs patients super-ethical is also usually cost effective, less recur, complications, complaints, & so on.

Columbia is a very impressive medical school. There are plenty of Tricare docs with educational backgrounds from "lesser" schools than Columbia.  Not that it nec means he is great, but..  Is he board certified?  Has he written papers on the surgery she is having or sim surgery that his staff can forward to you? Ask how often he's done this surgery.  A good doctor's staff expects questions like that.

You are just being a good concerned Mother.  I stayed on top of all these things for Dad also, & it does make a difference. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

I know this could be a very scary time for you , ask all the questions you can write down and try to keep a open mind our insurance did us the same way yet we found a better doctor by switching kate I will pray for you and your family
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

I think you are wise to be concerned.... I would really trust Mary's opinion, she's  worked in the  field forever and is very knowledgeable.

Joann