Thursday, February 16, 2006

Are you eating intelligently?

"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." -La Rochefoucauld

Interesting words. Certainly something to ponder as we pick ourselves up for another day of working our plans.  Eating intelligently to me means making a conscious choice.  Choosing healthy foods, choosing to forego the temptations that we run across every single day.  Choosing to make time for the exercise our bodies truly need.

Since I currently am a SAHM, I can most definitely keep control of the items that enter my house.  I can make good choices at the grocery store, for both the kids and me. I plan the menus that we eat.  I can say "no" to eating out.  With Paul currently deployed.. I definitely have all the VETO power.

When we step out into the world, we find ourselves accosted at every turn to make choices that can keep us moving towards our goals or cause us to stumble along the way.

Yesterday I had to run up to the big PX in Wuerzburg to pick up my son's birthday presents (I had them on lay away).  I took the two younger kids with me because it was going to be a pretty quick trip. They wanted to eat lunch at Burger King.

At Burger King, as I stood in line I was tempted.  I've been doing soo good this week.  I wanted to believe that a whopper jr and a medium fry would not damage what I have accomplished thus far. Then I thought.. I could get the side salad instead of the fries and save some calories that way, but still have the burger.

When it was finally my turn to order, I went with the grilled chicken garden salad and diet coke.  I passed up on the fries and burger.  I made the intelligent choice.  I didn't even sneak a fry from one of the kids' kid meals. 

It's good to know that this time, I was able to stand up to the temptation and make my plan work for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG ESTELA  ! I could have written this myself.  I went out to our little redneck bar last night and they cook free for everyone on Thursday night to show their appreciation for the clientle (sp?) . Anyway they were grilling burgers and fries to go with it but instead of eating that . I had already called ahead and they said what they were having , well I decided that since no time to make up a salad I would just stop on the way to the bar and get me a veggie delight sub from subway. I did and couldn't even eat the whole thing nor did I even sample a bite of burger or steal a fry from my honey.  I was proud of my self and you should be so proud that you are making the best choices for your body.   Donna

Anonymous said...

Truly inspirational!  Knowing that you can overcome temptation has to make it easier when it comes along again.  I bet that salad was good and knowing it was good for you probably made it taste better....


Tia

Anonymous said...

good going  i have trouble when i go anywhere near a fry.

Anonymous said...

WHOOOOHOOOO Estela....way to go!! Staying out of the kids fries is HARD STUFF and passing up a  fast food  cheeseburger is almost impossible for me if I went in the place....I am SOOOO proud of you!!!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~