Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Percentages Work!

At the beginning of this year, when I started back at dieting, I was trying to find something that worked for me.  I tried Weight Watchers before and while I do like the program, I found it was a bit time consuming to be constantly having to convert calories/fiber/fat to points.  I know it's a great program and works great for lots of folks.... but I was just having to work too hard at that.

After mulling things over, I decided to go with calorie counting.  It's just quicker for me.  I have the same amount of freedom as far as food choices, but I have eliminated the step of converting everything to points.

I use my Fitday program to track my calories and my exercise.  I can set this up to track the nutritional information that I need to really stay on top of my game.

In January I picked up Prevention Magazine's Lose Fat Fast mini-mag to help kick start things.  This booklet featured Denise Austin's Eat Carbs and Lose Weight program.  After reading the sounds bites in this mag, I ordered the book by Denise Austin.  This is what I've been trying to tailor my eating program around.

Eat Carbs, Lose Weight : Drop All the Pounds You Want without Giving Up the Foods You LoveDenise and her nutritionist co-writer advocate a diet that is 50% carbs, 25% fat, and 25% protein. Some of the reasons for striving for this combination is that you will feel less cravings and more satisfied than with either no carbs or with too much fat.

I've now had two good days where the percentages are falling just about where they should be.  And I think it's working.  I don't feel deprived.  I do feel full and I'm not craving sweets in the same way that I used to.

My goal for the rest of this week is to try and keep those percentages working for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD TO SEEE YA HAVE FOUND A PLAN THAT IS WORKING WELL FOR YA!!!!
THANKS FOR THE IDEAS!!!!
----Granny Hugs, MARY

Anonymous said...

I believe that finding your own nitch is what is always going to work for everyone.  While counting points for the rest of my life is not something that I want to do, after doing it for about 4 months now, I can read a label and pretty accurately get the point value.  It holds me accountable.  However, the LA weight loss program has worked for others and more power to them because that just didnt work for me. I respect that while you have found what works for you, you arent putting other programs down.  I have profound respect for that.  People need to understand that we are all different and what worked for the goose might not work for the gander. I love reading about other programs so that I can offer my friends and family various things to try.  This program sounds interesting and I will definitely be googling it.

Have a great OP day

Tia

Anonymous said...

Glad your plan is working for you! I truly believe that there isn't only one perfect plan out there, the key is just finding something that works and more so.....something you can live with.
You go girl.....that dress is getting closer! :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

let me try this again it just lost my comment anyway just was saying that i am glad this is working for you and that i am counting my calories on the spark site   i am constanly cutting the nutrition facts labels off boxes and stuff tht i eat so i can put it in over there when you use the favorites tab it goes alot quicker though  keep up the great work honey  donna

Anonymous said...

As someone that has spent most of her life looking for that special diet to miraculously melt her back end away, I have found that having focus and determination is crucial to achieving your fitness goals.

I have recently created a blog where I want people to add their stories about what worked and didn’t work for them. (This includes diet and fitness programs)

I have created this for all the people who have been on endless diets to allow them to see the common thread that each person has had to be successful in their fitness and diet program. I invite everyone to come in and share their diet and fitness experiences to help others looking for a way to achieve their goals.

If you like to check it out, please visit:
http://www.dietsearchblog.com and let me know what you think!

Wishing You Happiness and Great Health,

Jody