Friday, January 11, 2008

I just helped her cry

Smokey is not doing well. Her kidney and liver function is impaired.  She also has a very high blood sugar right now, which is disconcerting when one realizes she hasn't had food in 4 days.

She is currently at the Vet's overnight, receiving IV fluids and antibiotics. If she can start eating on her own, she may be out of the woods and live awhile longer.  But if she doesn't start eating on her own, it may be time to think about her "quality of life" and determine whether the heroic efforts the vet suggested are worth doing. 

For me, this isn't about prolonging her life.  She's a cat, and she's been a good one, but it just doesn't make sense to me to extend her life cycle for my benefit, or for my daughter's.

When Kendra got home from school today, I had to break the news to her. We talked about all the options the veterinarian offered up... the best case, the worst case and which route Kendra would be more comfortable with.

It's not easy losing a pet you've had most of your life. Kendra wants her to be comfortable and she is trying hard to think of what is best for Smokey.  But I know it's hard. We spent part of this afternoon crying, and sharing memories of this cat.  I wish I could do something more, but for now... crying with her seems to be the best option. We'll know more in the morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Smokey, and hope she will pull through for you.  Hope morning will bear better news, God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Oh my heart just breaks for all of you and for Smokey as well. That would be one of the hardest choices to make. I send all the best wishes and thoughts that she will start to heal herself and will make a return to all of you. Loving our fur-kids just comes so easy and the thought of losing one brings a world of hurt. Hugggs, Robin

Anonymous said...

oh honey I am so sorry , Smokey and you guys are in my prayers , I wish there was more I could say .
Hugs
Sherry