Friday, April 4, 2008

Pondering the next step

I have been toying with the idea of going back to college. There are two areas of interest that I think I would enjoy and in which I think I would be good.

The first area is elementary education.  I have loved homeschooling my children and while I am anxious to see the end of this year when Mac returns to the public high school, I am also going to miss that part of my life.  So, I am considering finishing my degree in education and becoming a school teacher. I think that I can bring an interesting perspective to the classroom.

The second area is nursing.  Most of my earlier career has been in the medical field, working in doctors' offices as a med assistant or clerical positions.  I really enjoy working with patients.  I have learned that one of the local colleges offers two nursing programs.  One is an 15 month LPN course, the other a two year RN program. 

I have mentioned my interest to Paul.  He never says no.. and he never really says yes. What he has been saying is how much he wishes the Army would release the education benefits to officers' families (they have already done this for many enlisted MOS's).  Something tells me that his biggest concern is the money... with one kid already in college...I think he worries that my education might just stretch the budget a bit more than he'd like.

I can appreciate that. These kids are definitely in the more expensive age range at the moment and we have two more coming up for college.  But I think that what we might lose out on in the short term, we'd more than make up for once I had a degree and could work in my chosen field (with nursing of course offering more money than teaching).

I figure I have some time to play with the numbers and really get my information together before I present Paul with the facts.  And I may be reading all the wrong things into his comments, but somehow I don't think so.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

well you go with your bad self lady.  That is a great idea.  I wish you all the luck.  I hope one of these dreams becomes a reality for you.
Stacy

Anonymous said...

If nursing is what you want to get into, check out the nursing homes, hospitals or health care agencies in you area.  I know each state is different but in my state if you work in any of these places and enroll in a nursing program they pay any where from 50 to 90%.    Some have a limited number of  scholarships too. It would require you going back to work, but it might be a way to get around paying so much for your education.  Places are desperate for nurses so you might be able to work a deal.  If I wanted to do it through my agency they pay for 90% of my education, as long as I keep a passing grade and have to commit to working for them for 2 years after graduation.  I'm going on my 4th year working for them, so don't see myself quiting just yet.

Anonymous said...

I hope this works out for you.  I have been going to college since 1981, LOL.  I took a class, took five years off, took a class, took five years off.  But I have only three classes to finish and I will finally have my associates.  I don't know if I have the stamina for a bachelors.  Time will tell.

Anonymous said...

I sometimes toy with the idea of going back to college...but then I remember how much I love slacking on the weekends!

Russ

Anonymous said...

I think this is a wonderful idea!! I think it's never to late to open our world, (and our dreams) up to something new. so many possibilities lie ahead....I hope you find yours :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

I think Paul is probably concerned about the cost, and with good reason, it is expensive.   HOWEVER!  there are several ways to offset expenses.    Check into grants, scholarships and student loans (loans don't have to be repaid until you are out of school, and I believe you have six months to find a job before first pmt due.  Go up to the school and talk to the financial aid office about some options.   Also, can you get a part time job to help offset expenses?   Check into things you can do to earn money from home.   Best advice of all?   Pray about it, because nothing is impossible for God.
One last thought:   if you choose nursing, definitely go for the RN and not the LPN.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie, it is Krissy from Sometimes I Think.  Wow, elementary education and nursing!  Two things I have always been interested in!  I think you are right, if you first get the information together, and present it correctly, that will make a big difference.  Also, is there any funding available out there for you?  And how would you find out about that?  Maybe you could go two places:  to the school and ask them, and to the Army and ask them.  You would probably want to ask hubby first.  Okay, hope those ideas helped some.  Or maybe you already thought of them, LOL.  Just trying to help!  Keep on plugging on!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

Anonymous said...

I think continuing your education would be great. I understand Paul's concerns about the cost but you may want to look into grants, and things of that nature. I feel that by getting your education that it will provide you with more financial security in the future due to the added income of your job as a nurse or teacher.
By the way, I feel both of them careers are rewarding ones. I also wanted to say Thanks for the encouraging words you left on my journal.

Best Wishes
Gina