Friday, April 25, 2008

Scones, burns, blisters

Kim had a project due today in English.  The project had to do with "personal heritage". Each student had to present an interesting piece of information of one of the countries from which they have family AND bring a food item from that country to share with the class. (Her teacher admits to liking to eat, so I suspect this was a sneaky way to have an "end of the year" party.

Kim elected to do something about England and she decided her food contribution would be scones.

She found a really simple recipe on line last night and after Grey's Anatomy, we started baking. I finished up around 10:30 pm.  We did a bit of adjusting for ingredients that we didn't have in the house and the results were very good. (Chocolate Chip Scones).  

During the course of the baking I discovered that I need to replace my oven mitts.  OUCH!!!  The heat of the pan went straight through the mitt onto my hand. It hurt so freaking bad and all I could think was "don't drop the pan".   LOL.. I didn't want to have to make another batch of scones (she needed at least 30 for the class size).

The burn was so bad that I blistered.  I spent another two hours after the scones were done alternating cool water and an ice compress on my burns to relieve the pain so I could go to bed.

Two small blisters in the area between my thumb and pointer finger.  They hurt a lot less today, but are still very sensitive to touch. 

On the grocery list: new oven mitts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! My wife wants those 'ove gloves' you see on TV, the ones that can withstand temps way out of line with a household oven. I don't see the point, but they'd be a heck of a lot better than a pair of blisters!

Dan

http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom

Anonymous said...

Ouch girl....OUCH!!!! I hope your blister heal soon....and go get the new mitts soon!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda