Sunday, August 27, 2006

Boxes and Chaos

Our household goods arrived yesterday morning.  In military moves, you have the option of having the packers stay long enough to help you unpack everything so that they can remove the debris.  They help, but for them it's a speed thing "hurry up and get out of here", so you end up with all your belongings sitting around all over the place but nothing really put away.

I had the movers put together my bed, the dining room table, the computer desk and the futon.  They unwrapped all the furniture that was wrapped and then they took all the packing material from those things away.

I am left with boxes and boxes to unpack. What was once a huge and spacious apartment is now a myriad of mazes created by boxes and loose items.

The kids have been a great help.  Our goal yesterday after the movers left were very simple.  We wanted to get their media room put somewhat together, get the living room to a point where we could sit and watch t.v. and clear the beds of loose items (preferably put away) so we could sleep last night. OH... and find the sheets to my bed!

Well, we accomplished all our goals and also got a bit more than that done last night.  We quit at 6pm, relaxed had dinner and then we watched a movie.

It's 6 am here and I am taking a few moments to catch up here and then I think I will go and start tackling boxes.

I tried to have the boxes placed in the correct rooms so that each child could work in their own room, arranging things, but it looks like I may have not done such a great job.  Towards the end of the day, Mac commented to me that not one box in his room that he opened had any of his stuff. In my room I opened two boxes that had Kendra's stuff, Kimberly found two of the boxes in her room held my clothes, and in Kendra's room is at least one dish barrel!  LOL... so  much for hoping we could work on separate rooms today.   I think we are just going to have to go from room to room and empty each box one at a time.

To make all this MORE fun.. we have company coming on Wednesday to spend the long weekend with us.   I know they won't mind the chaos, but one always wishes that things could be a bit more settled before guests arrive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!!! Moving is no fun and military moves are so hectic and crazy, but thank goodness for (big) little helpers. I hope you and the kids get some sense of order without going crazy in the meantime so you can enjoy your company in a few days!
~Missy

Anonymous said...

Look who has come for a visit.....your old friend Pooh! :) Seriously, the pain med I was taking for therapy was making me so nauseated I could not deal with reading things on line. But....I'm totally weaned off them all now and feeling soooo much better. It makes you wonder how people can use that crap to get high on, doesn't it? LOLOL!  I read through some of your entries, and I now feel pretty caught up with you & your life. Glad to see your things arrived and that you are starting to get your home set up....I bet you will be so happy when it is all done! I agree with you about the stamp, I didn't pass the e-mail on either. I also agree about grouping everyone together, I hate it when the press talks as if all Americans don't support the President or other issues.....I always say "they didn't ask me"!! Blanket hate is ignorance & fear talking.....it's really so sad. I hope you all have a great week and get a lot accomplished....tell Paul to have a safe trip :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

I was a military wife for 23 years, so I learned to be independent and really didn't mind when he was gone, because I could get things done as quick as I wanted to, since he never sees anything as important when it was my concern.  Some military wives are helpless, but I wasn't one of them.  I drove myself to the hospital to have a baby, so I could handle whatever came along.
Keep up your weight loss.