Saturday, June 9, 2007

I am SO past that age.

 Last night was graduation for the class ahead of Paul's here at the Test Pilot School. Our spouses' group asked for volunteers to offer babysitting to the graduating families. One of the dangling hooks that Erinn offered up (she coodinated this babysitting thing) was the idea of paying it forward.. by offering now, we could get similar service when our husbands graduate in 6 months time.

Now.. I don't need babysitting... my youngest is 14... really.. I don't need it.  I did not intend to volunteer.  But then I saw how few volunteers they had, and I found myself marking MAYBE , along with the quip "if you need me, use me."    I think that essentially became a target on my forehead.

Early this week, Erinn took me up on my offer and assigned me to one of the families that I did know.  Rebecca is a very nice woman that I have enjoyed a few conversations with.  I knew she didn't have babies... so I said "sure".  

Well.. what I had for the evening were three children, a 6, 5 and 2 year old. The 6 yr old girl had her ballet recital, so she left the house with the "ballet mom" around 6pm.  So... I just had the two.  They were really good kids.. so cute and really played well together. 

BUT... as the evening progressed and I had to make dinner, find pajamas etc. ... I discovered that every knob in that house was sticky!!!  OMG.. I've forgotten the "jam hand" stage of child rearing. LMAO.. I admit that initially I thought "my house was never STICKY!!"... but if I'm honest... it probably was.. its inevitable I think with toddlers.

UGH.. I kept having to wipe up my hands, knobs, countertops... Bless her heart! I'm sure she spends most of her day wiping things down... and it's still there.

I am soooo glad that my kids are long beyond that stage. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, glad you survived!  I think that is a great idea, and cool that you offered to help inspite of not needing it yourself.  I'm sure it was greatly appreciated!  

Anonymous said...

People think I hate kids -- I don't.  I just get very uncomfortable around them and have no idea what to say to them or how I'm supposed to react to what they say to me.  I feel like a giant squirrel around them youngens.

Russ

Anonymous said...

lol I told you girl that when I kept dylan I learned real quick I am too old to start over and so glad that my kids are sooo much older.....
hugs
Sherry