Friday, April 1, 2005

The Bizarreness of datelines

Noting all my old entries, I find it bizarre that they reflect a late night entry, but in actuality they were typed in the early morning hours in Germany. 

Paul is very good about getting to the internet cafe as often as he can.  I've been lucky enough to get daily updates from him.  But whereas in the beginning they were arriving at my email box first thing in the morning, the last two days thay have not arrived until late afternoon.  The first day this happened it made me feel a bit aprehensive.  Although you learn the concept of "no news is good news" being a military spouse, the truth is.. sometimes you can't help but worry when routines change.  It didn't help that just before going to bed Wednesday night I read two articles about things happening in Afghanistan.  Most people assume we are "done" there, and while it most definitely is safer than being in Iraq, it is by no means a picnic. There were two ambushes this week on military transports. No units were identified in the news brief I received, so it was kind of a panicky thing not to have my early morning mail from Paul.

I believe I'd know in my heart if something ever happened to him.  During the course of his career in the military, I have accurately predicted three accidents within the units to which he was assigned.  It's kind of scary when you have such certainty about things, and yet a little comforting as well because I believe I'd know before anybody could come to me with the bad news.

Thus far, all is well with him.

No comments: