Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Tuesday's surprise march

Yesterday my 7th grade daughter had her "outdoor education" final.  The teacher had asked for parent volunteers to help out and I signed up to help.  Before leaving home yesterday morning I did my leg workout as per my fitness calendar.  No walk planned for yesterday as it was to be a "rest" day.

When I get to school, I find out the teacher is not going with us, another adult is leading the groups through the final.  The group Im assigned is a mix of males and females, totally 7.  The first start of the "exam" is a series of puzzles for them to solve.  Each puzzle requires teamwork and cooperation from the group in order for them to be successful.  The first puzzle was fitting the whole group on a 2 foot by 2 foot wood platform.  Called for close quarters but the kids managed to get this done quick! Then they had to move across an area from a large platform to a smaller platform and finally to a large platform again, using only two blocks of wood and a slender stick to cross.. without touching the ground.  They had several "do overs" on this before they finally completed the task.  5 more puzzles were done during the course of the morning.

After our lunch break, we set off on a hike!  The kids learned how to take compass headings and along the way we had checkpoints where they had to answer trivia questions.  Kim's group amazed me with the overwhelming knowledge they had over a wide variety of subjects- the only question they could not answer was "Who was the author of 'Pride and Prejudice'. "   The only answer they got wrong was about the famous swamp in Florida (everglades), they chose to go with "okeefenokee swamp."  The walk was about two and half miles long.  Difficult for me to judge, since we had frequent stops for the questions, but it felt a bit longer than two, but not so long as three.  Still.. a very nice walk with lots of inclines.  Guess my day of "rest" didn't happen this week, but that's okay.. I loved the walk and the time with the kids.

Estela

No comments: