Friday, December 15, 2006

All Stressed out and No One to Choke

I am waging war with my children.  For some odd reason they have suddenly decided (just two days before Dad gets home and 10 days before Christmas) that Mom is truly a clueless individual and someone that hasn't earned their respect.

Really, my biggest beef right now is with Kendra.   After school this conversation transpired between us.

Me- Kendra, can you help your sister clean up the kitchen so she can make the gingerbread  (the counters were a bit cluttered, the whole thing with two of them would have taken MAYBE 10-15 minutes)

Kendra- WHY??

Me- Because I asked you to.

Kendra- It's not my turn

Me- Look, just help your sister, see what she needs you to help her with (Kim's been in the kitchen working the whole time)

Kim- You could empty the dishwasher...

Kendra- I don't empty the dishwasher

Me- Fine, sweep the floor

Kendra- I don't sweep floors

Me- Fine, get out of the kitchen, don't bother to help there... what you are going to do NOW is clean up your bathroom

Kendra- I don't do bathrooms.

First the "conversation" dissolves into me trying to be stern, not that it helped (tho usually it does).  I had to leave the room to avoid killing her on the spot.  The bathroom was never done.  Kim cleaned up the Kitchen.  A short time later, I'm doing some work on the computer, Kim is working at the dining room table.

Kim- eww... something is sticky here.

Me- Why don't you wipe down the table then

Kim- NO

She did finally clean up the table when she was setting it for dinner.  We had spaghetti, salad and toasted french bread for dinner. Then during dinner...

Mac- good bread, Mom

Me- Thank you, Mac

Kendra- Mom didn't make the bread.

Mac- Oh.. then who did?

Kendra- the store

Kim- Mom buttered it and toasted it, Kendra

Kendra (muttered under breath)- Like that takes any talent.

I confronted her.  I asked her why she was being so mean to me.  What had I done for her to behave this way?  Her response was "I'm not trying to be mean"... well.. God help her when she finally TRIES to be mean... I may not be able to resist the knee-jerk reaction to slap her.

Allowances have been cut off.  All extra privileges have been cut off.  NO shopping trip tomorrow, no haircut, no nail salon.   I am so not taking someone that is so freakishly set on pissing me off for no reason that I can see. WTF is going on with her?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Estela I have said for years that God knew what he was doing when he gave me 4 boys - they are SO much easier and always love their Mom instead of going through that competition phase. <G>  Hang in there, I can imagine how hurt and how angry you must be - this too shall pass.  Just try to think someday you will be showing your daughters how to diaper their babies and all this will be forgotten.
Ok I tried, lol.  Be strong!  You'll get through it, we always do.
Stacy

Anonymous said...

You are a good mother and I hope that when I start reproducing, if able, that I can be that patient because as I am reading the first conversation I can just imagine my mother slapping me already. It would have taken  just that one time and I would have done whatever she asked me to and the whole dinner conversation...yeah, she would be cooking the food for the family for a week, since I apparently had no talent.

But if this is not her normal behavior, I would sit down with her and try to have a heart to heart...which I am sure you have. Just let her know that you know something is going on and the biggest thing that I would want to hear is that you are there for me, not to judge me but to listen and only give advice if asked for it.

Hope you are doing better today Beautiful!!!!

Blessings,

tia