Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Cell Phones in America

In Europe, it is against the law to answer your cell phone while driving.  You must pull off the road in a safe place to have that conversation.  And the fines are steep, so there are few times I ever saw someone talking on a cell phone while driving.

Here it seems that the laws are either non-existent or non-enforcable.  Too bad.  I can't tell you the number of times I have almost been hit in my car by a driver that is distracted with a cell phone next to his/her ear. 

It is amazing to me!  I have seen people jump in their car in a parking lot, grab out their cell and begin dialing.  Once they are connected to whomever it is they want to talk to, they then proceed to start their car and back out to move. HUH????  Why not just sit your ass in your car and make the call without moving? 

For those of you that are guilty of these things... and you know who you are, please consider taking your calls at a more convenient time, for yourself, for the person in the car in front of you. 

And I'm not talking about the hands-free style phones... I"m talking about the ones that you have to hold to your ear.  Stop it!  Your passengers deserve to have your full attention on the road.  Your fellow drivers deserve to have your full attention on the road.

No comments: