Friday, December 1, 2006

Caution: Ranting Military Wife Here

First off, I want to acknowledge that I have it better than a lot of spouses do right now.  My Army hubby is safely tucked away in a state side school and that is a great relief after his year deployment.  Having said that,  I must now rant.

1986 - Keep the Home Fries Burning

I am seriously tired of having to do it all myself, or having to be the one to find someone who can do what I cannot.  I know what I was walking into when I married this man.  I jumped in with eyes wide open and arms spread out.  I love him all the more because of what he does.  But I am tired, seriously, seriously tired of keeping the home fires burning ... or more specifically.. keeping the toilets flushing.

My master bathroom toilet has been plugged since last weekend.  To add insult to injury, Paul was the last person to use it when it plugged.  And though he claims he did "nothing" to make it plug.. let's be honest..the one holding the "smoking" flush lever gets the blame.

He tried to unplug it, cursed the plunger I bought and told me I was going to have to call out maintenance on Monday.  Then he packed up his car and high-tailed it back to Alabama, where the maids were turning down his blankets on his bed.  He may have to cook and what not.. but he still has maid service for the rest.

Now...  my weeks are never a string of days where I get to sit at home just waiting around for the maintenance guy.  Plus, I wasn't convinced that Paul really gave it his all when he was plunging away in the bathroom.  So.. I procrastinated (we do have another bathroom, so it wasn't critical), I would wander in whenever I was home and try to plunge the dang thing again.  But no success.  Finally today I knew I'd be home all day so I called for maintenance.

The maintenance guy arrived around 10 am this morning.  He's still here( it's been 2. 5 hours).  Apparently this truly is the clog that no one can beat.  He has left and comeback three times now with different pieces of equipment trying to get this thing unplugged.  Since he started, he's managed to overflow the toilet (something both Paul and I managed to avoid),  then he backed this crap up into my shower stall and sink. Now.. he is cleaning up some as he goes (thank goodness for wet/dry vacs), but realistically speaking... you and I both know I'm gonna be scrubbing that room (and the stall) before I will really feel comfortable using it again.

So, why- you must wonder- do I feel this is all Paul's fault and if only he were here I woudn't be having to deal with it?  Because it's true... LOL.  I think what really has me going today is just realizing that this worker is tramping back and forth through my house, carrying g-- knows what on the bottoms of his shoes and that I am going to have to figure out where he stepped once he's gone so I can sanitize those spots.  To say nothing of the fact that Paul was holding the flush handle when all this started. It seems only fair he should be here dealing with this part of it too.

Okay, I'm done now.. and I feel better... but the maintenance guy is still here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate when any type of worker is in my house - last time we think but can't prove that the cable guy stole $100 out of my kids room.  I hate being stuck taking care of this all the time - making the call, setting up the appointment, waiting all day, doint the "this is gonna cost ya" dance, trying to decide if we really do need to replace something like they are telling me or will a simple fix be good enough.  I hate it all and recent the hell out of the fact that it's always me that has to do it.  <SIGH>  There I feel better too.  
Good luck!
Stacy

Anonymous said...

When I was growing up, because all that I knew was military, I wanted to be a military wife.  But as I have gotten older I know its hard enough to be a wife but a military wife is in a league of their own.  That is why I do appreciate the appreciation that you lovely women receive.  You are doing a great job Estela and even though you might want to just have a rest some days, its in you to keep going for the well being of your family.  I respect all that women like you are about. You are a strong and lovely person..

And I would be santizing the whole house myself.....

Much love,

tia

Anonymous said...

Boy, do I know what you are going through.  Hubby works 7 days a week, 12 to 13 hours a day, so he basically comes home to sleep and that's it.  I have to deal with all the other daily problems.  The other day the boys broke the kitchen faucet and the door knob on the front door.  I had no locking front door and no water in the kitchen for 3 days.  Finallly yesterday, the kids worked on the door knob and hubby finished fixing the faucet!
Madison