Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Paul and his fancy flying

I forgot to mention that Paul called last night while he was hanging out in the airport. 

Since leaving here last week, he's been in Houston, Tx; Mesa, AZ and was waiting to fly on to Las Vegas.  While in Houston, the class had a chance to visit NASA and learn more about the astronaut program.  They also had a cocktail time with the astronauts.  Many of the younger folk were thinking of putting in their packets for Astronaut duty.  One of the Astros asked Paul if he'd be doing that and Paul said, no because he was right at the edge of the cut off age.  The Astro was startled to find out that Paul was 46... thought he was much younger than that.

In Mesa, they had the chance to look around the Hughes plant (I think that is right), where the Apache Helicopter is assembled. They got a chance to fly some helicopter that starts with a "T".. LOL.. I think it's the Targhee, or some thing like that.  Also had a day out at Marana flying the Apache (old hat for Paul of course because he already knows how), but Paul did run into several of the guys he's flown with in the past.  Interesting to think that in four years, this could be an assignment for Paul... living 2 hours from Phoenix would be sweet at that point.

I think after Las Vegas they have one more stop before they head back here. Not sure what else is on the agenda, but I'm sure I'll get more detail as they go along.

For anyone that is interested, here's a link to an Apache website that Paul created and maintains: The AH-64 Apache Info Web Site


Tags: , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow it sounds like he is having a blast I would love it if you could get stationed in missouri lol I think  we would have a blast
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

I got so carried away looking at his site I almost forgot to come back and leave you a comment...LOL. I swear I dont know how those guys do it. I am so scared of flying and I am the one you hate to sit next to on just a commerical plane. My fingers turn white from gripping the arm of the chairs. I have to tell you a story, I was on a flight with my mom years ago, it was night and rainning. I was looking out the window at the wing of the plane. I usually wont take those sits but got too good of a deal to pass it up that time. I start seeing the rain running through the engine. I see red. Red in my mind screams FIRE. I tell my mom not to freak but the engine is on fire. I get the attention of the attendent. I say I think we have a problem and I make her bend across my mom and I whisper "The engine is on fire, alert the pilot!" She looks at me, then at the engine and starts laughing. Thats right, I am seeing the reflection of the lights and the rain only made it look brighter. I am just greatful I didnt jump up and scream FIRE and freak the whole plane out! I was so embarrassed. hugggs, Robin

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my new space. I love the page that Paul did. I can not do that mess for the life of me. Keon does things like that to and creates graphic designs...can't figure it out. I am sure that my blessing for a job is coming soon...right now I am just searching for more

Blessings,

Tia