Thursday, September 6, 2007

Scaring Ourselves in Gettysburg

me (seated), Brandon (white shirt) Lisa, and Jacob(green shirt).. shot taken by Kim, showing a white orb over Jacob. (most likely a headlight or some other source of man-made light).  Other orbs in picture.

Kim, Mac and I went to Gettysburg this weekend. We met up with my friend Lisa and her two boys, Brandon and Jacob.  We had such a fun time.  Saturday and Sunday during the day, we spent time out on the battlefields, following the auto tour route and shopping (of course!).  I managed to get two Christmas gifts purchased while we were there... so I see it as a good thing.

Both Saturday night and Sunday night we went ghost hunting.  On Saturday, we went back out to the battlefields after dark, focusing mostly on "Devil's Den." We went without flashlights because we weren't thinking about how dark it would be (duh!).  But no one got hurt, but sheesh did we ever scare ourselves!

Driving out to the battlefield, we were coming up on a car (parked on the wrong side of the roadway) with it's headlights still on.  Just before we reached the car, a white figure popped out in front of the car (the other car, not our car) and we all reacted with deep gasps and then laughter when we realized it was a real person, just washed out in the headlights.  LOL

Sunday at sunset we went out to the covered bridge. While we really didn't see anything, we did smell some honeysuckle, but a search over a very large area revealed no honeysuckle vines.  This area is known for the number of dead soldiers that began decomposing there after the battle.  Many people would put scents on their kerchiefs and cover their noses when moving the dead (and even while going about their business in town after the battle).  We wonder if what we smelled wasn't from that type of "haunting".

Then we went on a ghost tour with the Ghosts of Gettysburg tour group.  It was a good tour, our guide told us several stories as we walked through the town.  Once that tour was over, we once again went looking for ghosts on our own.  We went to a spring that was supposedto have a lady in white... a nun that went about caring for soldiers after the battle while they still lay in the fields.  And finally, we spent some time in the school yards which were supposed to have some ghostly activity.

Mac, Jacob, me, Lisa, Brandon (Kim behind the camera) @ the spring

Spooky orbs (probably just dust specks)

This was taken at the school, there is an indian statue in this pic along with orbs (dust specks) and headlights.  When I first loaded this up, I thought the statue was a ghost! Until I saw it was on a pedastal.. LOL

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see a pair of demonic eyes in that last pic......

hmmmm


Russ

Anonymous said...

girl what was you looking for when she was taking the picture? lmao girl if they show up where I am at that is ok I am not going looking for any of them lol I love the pic's though and I loved the entry it is almost that time again and I love the fall season.
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a night of fun!!!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

I love ghost hunting stories.....evertime I even tried to do something like that I scare the crap out of my ownself!!LOL! Love the pictures!!! Huggs, Robin