Thursday, May 31, 2007

Waiting to see

The Army Aviation Community is small. Every time Paul and I hear of another helicopter crash, we cringe and we wait.  Will it be a friend of ours this time?  Will it be one of the many pilots that Paul has trained over the years (Paul spent 3 years as an instructor pilot at Ft. Rucker)?

And if it isn't someone we know, is it someone one of our current friends/colleagues know?

Waiting is tough on us, when we are removed from the direct path of knowledge.  For the families of the units involved, it has got to be so much worse.

When Paul was in Afghanistan, it was the policy (at that time) to shut down personal/private communications until the family was notified of accidents and/or deaths.  Out of respect to the idea that the NOK should be the first to know, efforts were made to be sure that the news didn't leak out through unofficial channels. 

So even though the families are informed as soon as possible.. it's still got to be tough to hear the basic news reports on the tv and then sit and wait.  Your soldier can't contact you directly to let you know he/she is okay.  You have to wait. The NOK deserves to know first.  So you wait. You hope, you pray, you bargain... and you wait. And you hope you aren't the first to know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give all you soliders wives major KUDOS because it takes a certain kind of strength to hold it together like that and I know my limits and I couldn't do it.  I am too much of a drama queen, too needy and clingy and have burst into tears if I see a car accident on the news that is on a road the honey takes to work, LOL.  OMG can you imagine me as a military wife during PMS?  I would be calling GWB on the phone!! lol
I think the wives .... children ..... mom and dad of active duty children .... all the families are the unsung heros in all of this.  <applauding you all>
Stacy

Anonymous said...

I honestly don't know how you do it honey I would go nuts, that is why you are my hero , you stand there on duty just as much as our soliders taking care of them and thier children so they can defend our country , god bless you
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

FINALLY, I found your journal.... you haven't left a link for me when you visit my journal and leave comments... LOL!!!  THank you for visiting, I always like to 'see' your smiling face, and 'hear' your kind words!!  I'm putting you on my alerts, too!!!    We just had a marine killed in Iraq last week who lived local.... Torrance, CA is about an hour from me.  Anyway, wanted to say that I'm proud of you and your hubby for your sacrifices and time, your LIFEtime, actually!!  
Thank you!!!  Thank you!!!!  Thank you!!!

http://journals.aol.com/preciousone25/JoannsWeightLossJourney
Joann

stello said...

I thank you and your husband for your unselfishness. My prayers are with you and all the military families