Friday, August 8, 2008

Facing Changes

This has been a week where I have been constantly reminded that my little ones aren't so little anymore.

Kim and Mac received their driving permits this week and yesterday they went off to school.  Both of them are in high school now.  I am just three short years away from having "adult" children.

Tomorrow (Saturday) Kendra moves away from home. She is ready to take up residence at the college. Paul, Kim and I will help her with the move. Kendra and I have been buying and gathering up her supplies all summer for this new living arrangement.

I am so excited for her. This is that next big step towards adulthood. Things are going exactly as I hoped they would for her.

But all of a sudden, it's hitting me that my baby is going to be leaving home. This house is going to seem so empty to me without her presence. 

I am not going to rain on her excitement, though.  I'm keeping all this inside and showing the strong mom face to her and her siblings. I know she's going to be aching to be here too.  For all that she is ready for this new independence, it can be a scary thing. We will get through this too.  After all, she's just 60  miles down the road and one text message away.

(How mom sees Kendra leaving)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW SAD!!!  What a cute pic!!!  

(((HUGS)))
Joann

Anonymous said...

You always need your mom...no matter how old you get.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Hi Estela, thanks for stopping by my journal and leaving a comment!

My Dad told me once that it really struck him that his three girls were adults when I went off to college (I'm the baby of the family). So it sounds like you have a few years to go until you hit that point! :) Good luck with the move!

Beth
http://journals.aol.com/luvrte66/nutwoodjunction/

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that picture just made me cry.....real tears!!!! It never gets any easier letting them grow up does it? It's what we want, to see them grown, and independent of us....able to find their own place in the world. But still, my Mommy heart aches at time.....and I understand what you're going through.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda