Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Pickles !

Homeschooling Mac this year means having to find time to do science experiments.  We are using a pretty good Science program and are averaging 2 experiments a week.  Our most recent experiment had to do with showing what would happen if the oxygen concentration in our air was changed. 

To do the experiment we needed a candle and a jar to cover the candle.  Well.. in the instructions I got, the jar was called a "large" jar.  We went hunting at the store for something...and it dawned on me that pickles come in pretty large jars.  So...  in the interest of saving a few coins, I grabbed the local markets store brand of pickles. 

Now.... my "fill" point for pickles was reached back when I was in Junior High.   I ate a large pickle for lunch every day for a year.  I really don't care for pickles all that much anymore.

pickle7.gif - 2.8 KAnd my kids are not particularly fond of pickles. So what to do with all the dang pickles that came in this jar?   I don't own a dog.. and not really sure I'd want to feed all those pickles to him anyway... so getting rid of them that way was out. Finally, I decided that I could eat half of them over time, and I could throw the other half away and not feel too bad about that. 

So... half go in the trash (which has since been removed from the house), and half go into a rubbermaid container and put in the frig.  But I grabbed one out to eat before putting the rest away.  YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I don't think I've had a worst tasting pickle EVER!

I felt like I had been transported back to Mayberry, during the episode in which Aunt Bea makes those horrible pickles that no one can eat.   And now I have a half container of them that I have to eat (well.. not really, but I so hate wasting food).  Maybe now that they are cold, I'll like the flavor better.  Maybe I can save them for when Paul comes home and he can eat them (he still likes pickles, not having suffered from the teen girl pickle eating syndrome).  I'm on the fence here... I could try one now that they are cold and if they are still the worst pickles ever, I will just toss them. UGH!

Oh.. and the science experiment for which we needed the jar was inconclusive. Every time we tried to add more oxygen under the jar, we snuffed out the candle. LOL.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take the pickles!!  lol... Of course, your story even made me flinch with the way you described it...If you don't want 'em, throw them out!!  It's okay!  I gotta learn that trick with chocolate, myself...lol...  :)

Jen

Anonymous said...

I use to love pickles but only kosher dill pickles.  Could never stand the sweet ones...but since I have hypertension, wayyyy too much salt and now...I dont even like them all that much unless they are on my McDonald's double cheeseburger which I havent had in forever!


Smooches

Tia

Anonymous said...

I love pickles!!!  Sounds like you're keeping things very interesting at home..lol..lol..
Hugs, Angie

Anonymous said...

I'm a pickle lover too!  LOL
Hugs,
Dana