Monday, November 20, 2006

My Final Word on GNU FIBER BARS

A few weeks back, I purchased the GNU bars that have been reviewed by HungryGirl.  There are four flavors available : Banana Walnut, Chocolate Brownie, Cinnamon Raisin, and Orange Cranberry.

Previously I mentioned that I found the Orange Cranberry to be very good texture-wise, but that it was a bit overpowering on the Orange. I have since tasted the other bars and I think for texture, I still prefer the Orange-Cranberry bar.  None of these bars stand out for flavor.  In fact, the only flavor that truly stands out at all is the Orange, in the Orange-cranberry, and that was not necessarily a good thing.

If you need a super punch of fiber in your day, these bars are a great way to get 12 grams of fiber all at once and they are edible.  I suppose if I played around with them (like heating them up, adding whip cream) I might have found them more to "die for".   But in general, since I can not pick them up at a local store, I have to say I didn't think they were worth the trouble and expense of having them sent. 

I can eat them, and to me the taste is okay.  It's not WOW!  It does not have the potential to have me overeating them.. which considering the fiber count is probably a good thing.  I most likely will NOT purchase them again because I find that I'm not eating them, or even thinking  "Hey! I can have a GNU bar for snack!"  No, not everything I eat has to be a "party" in my mouth, as I so often tell the kids, but I find that I can get enough fiber in my diet through other better tasting sources (like Kashi cookies, bars, whole wheat tortillas, Slim Fast shakes, etc) that I just don't need this big whammy of a fiber bar.

No comments: