Tuesday, January 23, 2007

4 miles, and other random thoughts

I feel good!  I just finished my four mile walk.  I wasn't completely sure I was going to get that done today (it's been one of those days)... but a while after dinner, I just couldn't think of any more reasons to avoid it. :)   This new workout has you doing 4 miles in less than 48 minutes.  There is "interval" walking going on ... some of which is either a very, very fast walk, or a jog (I did the jog). 

So, I 've been pondering a friendship of mine.  And wondering what the rules are for some things.  I have a long time friend that seems to find her way into many questionable situations.  She will walk into incredibly stupid relationships with her eyes wide open and then cry and rage when it blows up in her face (a long term relationship with a married man comes to mind). 

Now... I have issues with the whole married man thing.. but putting that aside, I realize that I am not her mother and it is not my place to approve nor disapprove of her choices.  But do I have to listen to the rants when it turns south again?  She demands that he divorces, he backs off for a bit, then makes promises, she lets him back in... and then he remains married (although, in all fairness, he's been apart from his wife now for three years).  She is slowly falling into the same pattern again after telling him in November that it was over between them.

So, here's my pondering.. is there any nice way to say,  "I care about you, I'm sorry you are hurting, but I do not want to waste my night listening to you rant about something that you KNEW was going to end the same way."   Is that allowed?  Am I allowed to say I don't want to hear about it again?  or does that make me an uncaring friend?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are allowed to say that.  I just wrote about friendships and this is one thing that I said, you have to have that friendship where you are honest. I know you are going to be nice about it but sometimes people just need to hear the truth...

Great job on the 4 mile walk and I went to check out the other journal and let her know you sent me

Tia

Anonymous said...

If you have "pretended" to accept all this craziness you owe her an explanation first - otherwise, I think the way you said here is fine.  Remember tone is everything.  Let her know that you are past your drama years, lol, and these conversations are exhausting and drain the life right out of you - and you can't imagine HOW she LIVES it, but she thrives on this stuff and that's fine - you just can't be there to pick the pieces up all the time.  
Stacy

Anonymous said...

That's a very tough situation to be in, but being honest is always best....as long as you are kind and don't come off condesending. Tone is the key here, and so is preserving your friendship with her. Choose your words wisely :)  Congrats on walking the 4 miles....that is awesome, awesome, awesome!! Keep up the good work.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

Congrats on going out on your walk.  In regards to your friend, I agree with with your other commenters.  
Hugs,
Dana