Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Musings about McDonalds

Through a series of choices I made this morning,  I found myself at McDonald's for lunch.  My focus was to get a hamburger and small fry... doable since I am counting calories.. but probably not the best choice I could make.  As I waited for my turn to order our lunch (Mac was with me)... I pondered the different choices (healthy or otherwise) that the menu board offered.

I decided to try the Honey Mustard Snack (grilled chicken wrapped in tortilla with cheese, lettuce and honey mustard).  And instead of fries, I ordered the apple walnut snack (with lowfat yogurt).   I thought I had made pretty good choices.  We got our meals to go because we were going to come home and watch Shanghai Noon as part of our "history" study.

Of course as soon as I got home, I checked out McDonald's website for the nutritional information for the food I brought home. And... I discovered that the wrap that actually came home with me was the Ranch version (I'm not a big fan of Ranch dressing).  At any rate, their mistake saved me about 50 calories .. I was surprised to discover that the Ranch version is lower in calories than the Honey Mustard version. 

Overall, the lunch wasn't too bad, it was certainly filling, and the taste was a nice change from the typical lunch I've been having.  In a pinch, I'd be happy to have that again, but I think I'd like to keep more of my meals at home for now, while I'm getting back in the groove with the diet.

So total calories eaten today: 1575 (goal 1550). I walked 3 miles and I did my strength/stretch program today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happy meal it at mcdonalds and if you ask they will give you a nutrion guide before your order and I usually eat only 440 calories because I get a diet soda no calories and the burger is low and the fries I skip unless I am real hungry
glad to see you are still on plan and the mac wasn't a big mac attack I have had several of them in my past.
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Good for you.  When I go to those kinds of places I usually order a salad because I don't know what else to order.  I'll have to remember that for next time.
Madison I

Anonymous said...

I can't stand fast food.  Good job on the calorie intake and exercise!
Hugs,
Dana