Thursday, January 25, 2007

Reduced fat recipe for Spinach Tortellini

Ingredients

9 ounces Spinach Tortellini ( I use the Buitoni brand)

1.5 tsp of minced garlic (I use the jarred Polaner's brand)

2 tsp. olive oil

9 ounces chopped spinach (frozen, but thaw before using)

1 tsp chopped basil (Polaner's brand) OR 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (YUM)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 cup fat free half and half

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used Kraft for speed, but I bet fresh grated would be better)

Cook Tortellini to desired state as directed on package (I cook mine for 9 minutes once the water is boiling). Drain. (If I time this right, I'm ready to drain and add it to the sauce).

Meanwhile, In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the garlic in the oil (for just a few minutes).  Add spinach, basil, salt and pepper.  Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add half and half and Parmesan cheese.  Cook until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add tortellini. Mix well. Cook additional 4 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Mixed up this way, this should make three servings (divided evenly) and the calorie count should be about 388 calories.  Aprox. 27 calories  (per serving) can be saved if you use the Olive Oil pam.  I'm sorry, but I don't know the other nutritional information.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good but.............I hate cooked spinach.  I might try it without the frozen spinach :)
Madison

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe Estela!  I love spinach.  I will have to try this one!  Hugs, Ellen